Farmers on hunger strike against GMOs in Poland
ICPPC - International Coalition to Protect the Polish Countryside
WARSAW, POLAND, 19 March 2009
Edyta Jaroszewska, 42 year old organic farmer and the chairperson of the Organic Farmers Association, started hunger strike against GMO cultivation in front of Ministry of Agriculture, Warsaw, Poland two days ago.
Two days ago Danuta Pilarska, another organic farmer and chairperson of The Organic Farmer's Union, joined her. Yesterday, both women, together with other members of the Coalition for a GMO Free Poland, joined a meeting of the Polish government's Agricultural Committee in the Senate in Warsaw. The committee was discussing the future of GMO in Poland.
After a few hours of debate Edyta concluded "There's no political will within the Polish government to stop corporations from illegal planting of the GM maize variety MON 810 - and to ensure that Poland is kept GMO free. This opens the possibility of the widespread planting of MON 810 during this year. So we don't have another choice other than to stay here and fight!"
Today, the fasting ladies, supported by other members of the Coalition, have been protesting in front of the Ministry of Agriculture in Warsaw.
See photos http://icppc.pl/pl/gmo/index.php?id=470
* Dear friends - we and they need your support!! Please send your personal letter of support for Danuta and Edita's brave action to the Polish Ministers (see below). The goals of our fasting ladies and the Coalition for a GMO Free Poland are:
1. To reinforce the BAN of all GM plants and - and as a fast-track - ban the maize MON 810.
2. To introduce labelling of all GM foods and gradually withdraw these foods from the market.
3. To introduce a BAN of GM animal feeds.
4. To use social/public funds (tax payer's money) to support traditional and
Please send a copy of your letter to:
The Prime Minister - Donald Tusk
The Chancellery of the Prime Minister
Al. Ujazdowskie 1/3
00-583 Warszawa, Poland
fax. +48 22 6252637
and a copy to us, please!
ICPPC - International Coalition to Protect the Polish Countryside,
Miedzynarodowa Koalicja dla Ochrony Polskiej Wsi
34-146 StryszÃ³w 156, Poland tel./fax +48 33 8797114